With ever smiling people, scenic natural beauty, vibrant culture, impressive history and decades old coffee cafes, Vietnam offers you the best combination that you can wish for. To help you plan your Vietnam Trip, we have summarized all ways to get Vietnam Visa for Indians (also covering a comparison and our suggestion for best of all)
While I loved my Vietnam Trip but it took me lot of efforts to find out Vietnam Visa process. With web full of sites claiming to provide you Vietnam Visa, some even falsely claiming to represent Vietnam Government and Immigration, it becomes really difficult to figure out right Visa Application Process for Vietnam. To help our fellow travellers , we are summarizing details for getting Vietnam Visa for Indians – Types, Fees, Documents and also How to apply for Vietnam Visa.
Vietnam Visa for Indians – 3 Ways to Get Vietnam Visa
There are 3 ways that Indian citizens can apply and get Vietnam Visa. We are listing all three processes below while also putting our Priority Ranking. You may select the one that suits your travel requirements best.
- Vietnam E-Visa for Indian Tourists (Preference 1) – This is the easiest way to get Vietnam Visa for Indians. Not only for Indians but for citizens of all 146 Eligible countries. You only need to apply online directly on Vietnam Immigration Official Government Website and get your E-Visa over email in 3 working days. If you are looking for 30 days Single Entry Vietnam Visa, please go for it without second thought. (Read more – Hot to Get Vietnam E-Visa from Official Government Website)
- Vietnam Visa on Arrival for Indians (Preference 2) – To get Vietnam Visa on Arrival, Indian Tourists have to go through 2 step process i) Get a Visa Approval Letter through a Private Agency ($6 to $50 – Depends on Agency and how fast you want your letter) ii) Get your Visa Stamp on Arrival in Vietnam ($25 -$50 – Depends on Single/Multi Entry Visa). Vietnam Visa on Arrival is useful in case you are looking for Multi Entry or >30 days Vietnam Visa. (Read more – Vietnam Visa on Arrival – How to Apply, Fees and Requirements)
- Apply for Vietnam Visa at Vietnam Embassy or VFS Global Centers (Preference 3) – You can apply for Vietnam Visa at Vietnam Embassy Delhi/Consulate General Mumbai or VFS Global offices across different Indian cities. This process is effort intensive with fees being higher compared to both Visa on Arrival and E-Visa processes and we suggest to apply for your Vietnam Visa through Embassy only if Visa on Arrival or E-Visa do not serve your travel needs. (Read more – How to Apply Vietnam Visa from India – Vietnam Embassy and VFS Global Centers)
Please note that Airlines will not let you on-board flight if you do not show either Visa on Arrival Approval Letter or Vietnam E- Visa or Vietnam Visa pre-issued by Embassy. So, please ensure to arrange for either your Vietnam Visa or Approval Letter for Visa on Arrival before you head to airport for your Vietnam flight.
1. Vietnam E-Visa for Indians (Preference 1)
After doing all research, we realized that applying online for Vietnam E-Visa is the easiest and cheapest way to get Vietnam Visa for Indians. In case, you are looking for a 30-Day Single Entry Visa to Vietnam, just go for Vietnam E-Visa without any single thought. Citizens of 46 countries, including Indian Tourists, can apply for Vietnam Visa online and get their E-Visa delivered electronically through email within 3 days. This allows you entry through 28 international checkpoint Ports (including Airports, Seaports and Landports).
Vietnam E-Visa Official Government Website
One of the problem that we faced and we think most of us would have faced is to find official government website where one can apply for Vietnam E-Visa. There are so many private websites that it is hard to locate Vietnam Immigration Official Site. https://immigration.gov.vn/ or https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US is the official Vietnam Immigration Department website where you can find all information about Vietnam E-Visa and also apply for one. Both links direct to the same page.
How much does Vietnam E- Visa Cost?
Vietnam E-Visa fee is 25 USD. There is an additional 0.96 USD payment fee charged by payment gateway (Payoo). So in total – 25.96 USD. This fee is standard for citizens from 46 eligible countries (including Indian Tourists). You may check Vietnam Immigration Department E-Visa site for any updates on fee here.
I applied for Vietnam E-Visa online and got my Vietnam Visa over email within 2 working days. It was pretty smooth experience right from application to airport check-in and finally at immigration at Hanoi Airport. I have written my Vietnam E-Visa Experience which you may read here (Documents, Application Process etc.) – Hot to Get Vietnam E-Visa from Official Government Website (Indian Tourists & 46 Countries)
2. Vietnam Visa on Arrival for Indians (Preference 2)
Vietnam Visa on Arrival is slightly different from other countries’ Visa on Arrival. In case, you are thinking that you will apply for your Visa once you land in Vietnam, you are seriously mistaken !!. Vietnam Visa on Arrival requires you to complete following 2 steps –
- Prior to your Vietnam Trip – Get a Visa Approval Letter through a Private Agency
- Once you land in Vietnam – Get your Visa Stamp on Arrival in Vietnam
Also, please note that Vietnam Visa on Arrival is eligible for citizens of 146 countries (including India) only if you are travelling through flight and landing at one of the 5 international airports of Vietnam. Visa on Arrival is not valid for either Sea or Land Entry to Vietnam.
How to Apply for Vietnam Visa on Arrival
There are 2 steps involved in applying for Vietnam Visa on Arrival for Indians –
Step 1: Apply for Vietnam Visa on Arrival Approval Letter – You can apply for your Vietnam Visa on Arrival Approval letter from 1 day to 6 months prior to your Vietnam Travel. We will suggest to get your approval letter well on time and do not wait for last minute. You can apply for the same through private agencies (an online search will give you lots of options) within 3-5 days but you can also get it within a day or even few hours if you pay extra. Charges range from $6 to $50 (Even higher) depending on the agency you select and how fast you want your Approval letter. We tried to find if there is some official government website to get this letter of approval but unfortunately could not find one.
Step 2: Get Vietnam Visa on Arrival once you land at any of Vietnam International Airports – Once you land at any of Vietnam International airports, just head to Visa on Arrival section. To get your Visa on Arrival stamped, display your Vietnam Visa on Arrival Approval letter and submit your documents (Passport, 2 Passport sized photos – 4×6 cm, Return Ticket and Proof of Accommodation) along with Visa Stamping Fee in cash (25 USD for Single Entry Visa and 50 USD for Multiple Entry Visa) and filled up Vietnam Visa Application Form.
Once you get your Vietnam Visa on Arrival stamped on your passport, you can head to Immigration counters for entry in Vietnam
Vietnam Visa on Arrival Fees for Indians
There are two fees component for Vietnam Visa on Arrival –
A. Vietnam Visa on Arrival Approval Letter (through Private Agencies) – We did an extensive online research but could not find any official way to get Visa on Arrival Approval letter. Getting it through Private agencies seems to be the only way who charge anywhere from $6 to $50 (some even higher) to get one for you.
B. Vietnam Visa on Arrival Stamping Fee at Vietnam Airports – You have to pay Visa Stamping fee once you land at any of Vietnam International Airports – $25 for Single Entry/$ 50 for Multiple Entry. You can pay Stamping fee either in US $ or Vietnamese Dong.
So overall, fee for Vietnam Visa on Arrival can be $30 upwards depending on agency charges for Approval letter and the kind of Visa that you are looking for.
We have written a detailed blog for how you can get your Vietnam Visa on Arrival (including Requirements, Documents, Fees, Tips etc) which you may read here – Vietnam Visa on Arrival – How to Apply, Fees and Requirements
3. Apply for Vietnam Visa at Vietnam Embassy (Delhi / Mumbai) or VFS Global Centers (Preference 3)
Applying for Vietnam Visa at Embassy/ VFS Global Centers is effort intensive (visits to Visa Centers) with fees being far higher compared to both E-Visa and Visa on Arrival processes. Therefore we suggest to apply at Embassy ONLY IF Visa on Arrival or E-Visa do not serve your travel needs.
In case you want to apply for Vietnam Visa in person, you can apply for one at following places –
- Embassy of Vietnam (New Delhi)
- Consulate Generate of Vietnam (Mumbai)
- VFS Global Centers – Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai Gurgaon and Jalandhar
Documents for applying Vietnam Visa at VFS Global Centers
You require following documents to apply for Vietnam Visa at VFS Global Centers. These will remain the same even if you are applying at Vietnam Embassy New Delhi or Vietnam Consulate General at Mumbai –
- Original Passport – Min 30 days validity from the date of travel to Vietnam
- Vietnam Visa Application Form: Please Download here
- 1 photograph (size 4×6 cm – clear photos with any color background is acceptable
- Copy of front and last page of the passport
- To and fro Air Ticket for your Vietnam trip
- Bank Statement for last 3 months (Attested by your Bank) – Evidence showing that you have enough financial sources for your travel (at least USD 1,000)
Post submission of your docs, you can track your application status here.
Vietnam Visa Fees for Application at VFS Global Centers
Below are the Visa processing Fee and Service Fee charged by VFS Global for Vietnam Tourist Visa.
|Visa Fee||Processing Fee|
|Tourist (Single Entry for 30 Days)||INR 4400||INR 525|
|Tourist Express Service (Single Entry for 30 Days||INR 4600||INR 525|
We have written a detailed blog detailing out process for applying Vietnam Visa at VFS Global Centers. You may read the same here – How to Apply Vietnam Visa from India – Vietnam Embassy and VFS Global Centers
Comparison of 3 Vietnam Visa Processes – Which one is better and Why?
We have compared key aspects of all 3 Vietnam Visa application processes for Indians. This will help you decide which one suits your travel needs best –
|Vietnam E-Visa||Vietnam Visa on Arrival||Vietnam Visa through Embassy|
|Entry/Exit Applicability||28 Ports ( Air, Sea and Land)||5 International Airports (Only Air)||All Immigration Points (Air, Sea and Land)|
|Application Process||Easiest (Online Application)||Comparatively Easy (2 step Process)||Difficult (Visits to Embassy/Consulate)|
|Type of Visa|| |
30 Days Single Entry
| – 30 Days Single/Multiple Entry|
– 90 Days Single/Multiple Entry
– 6 months/1 Year Multiple Entry
|Single/Multiple Entry Both (All Duration)|
|Eligible Countries||46 Countries (Including India)||146 Countries (Including India)||Almost All countries (Including India)|
|Visa Fee||$25 Visa Fee +$0.96 Application Fee||– Approval Letter: $ 6 to $50 (Even Higher)|
– Visa Stamping: $25 (Single)/$50 (Multiple)
|$65 (~INR 4500)|
|Processing Time||2-3 Working Days||Approval Letter: 2-3 Working Days|
Visa Stamping: On Airport (~1 Hour)
|5 Working Days|
|Application Process||Apply online at Govt. Website here||Approval Letter – Through Agencies|
Visa Stamping – At Airport
|Visit Vietnam Embassy|
|Read more||Vietnam E-Visa from Official Government Website||Vietnam Visa on Arrival||Vietnam Visa from Embassy/VFS Global Centers|
Our Suggestion: Vietnam E-Visa with 30 Days Single Entry and also with minimum cost would be able to serve the purpose for most of the people travelling to Vietnam and thus we will suggest to go for Vietnam E-Visa. In case, you are looking for longer period or Multiple Entry Visa, then go for Vietnam Visa for Arrival. You should opt for applying Vietnam Visa at Embassy as last resort considering high fees and efforts involved.
We hope that this helps you plan your Vietnam Trip better and also select right Visa application Process. Please feel free to drop us a comment in case you need any additional information.