We backpacked to Bhutan in 2016 Summers and this has been one of the most memorable trips that we have done in recent past. Here are the details of our 9 day itinerary for the trip including our road travel from Phuentsholing to Thimphu and return. In case, you are taking a flight to Paro, you will be able to save 2 days and this will become a 7 day itinerary.
- Train journey (5th May’16, Thursday): From Kolkata to Hasimara (Kanchankanya Express – Departure: 20:30 PM, Arrival: 10:23 AM)
- Day 1 (6th May’16, Friday): Reached Phuentsholing by noon, Got our Entry Permit and left for Thimphu by shared cab at 4 PM. Reached Thimphu at 10 PM
- Day 2 (7th May’16, Saturday): Visit to Thimphu Dzong, Museums (Postal Museum & Folklore Heritage Museum), Archery Tournament, Stay at Thimphu
- Day 3 (8th May’16, Sunday): Hike to Tango & Cheri Monastery, Stay at Thimphu
- Day 4 (9th May’16, Monday): Entry Pass extension & Restricted Area Entry Pass Approval, Visit to Textile Museum, Travel from Thimphu to Khuruthang by shared cab, Visit to Dochula Pass and Chimi Lhakhang enroute, Stay at Khuruthang
- Day 5 (10th May’16, Tuesday): Visit to Punakha Dzong & Suspension Bridge, Returned to Thimphu by bus, Visit to Changangkha Lhakhang, Stay at Thimphu
- Day 6 (11th May’16, Wednesday): Bus travel from Thimphu to Haa, Hiking & stay at Haa
- Day 7 (12th May’16, Thursday): Hiking in morning at Haa, Travel from Haa to Paro by booked cab, Visit to Chele La Pass en route, Stay at Paro
- Day 8 (13th May’16, Friday): Hike to Tiger’s Nest Monastery (Tips), Visit to Paro Dzong & National Museum, Stay at Paro
- Day 9 (14th May’16, Saturday): Bus travel from Paro to Phuentsholing, Train from Hasimara to Kolkata
Happy exploration!! Please feel free to write us in case you need any help in preparing your itinerary.