Our back-packing trip to Bhutan has been one of the most memorable trips that we have been to in recent past. Here are details of our 9 day itinerary for the trip including our road travel from Phuentsholing to Thimphu and return. In case, you are taking a flight to Paro, you will be able to save 2 days and this will become a 7 day itinerary.
- Train journey (5th May’16, Thursday): From Kolkata to Hasimara (Kanchankanya Express – Departure: 20:30 PM, Arrival: 10:23 AM)
- Day 1 (6th May’16, Friday): Reached Phuentsholing by noon, Got our Entry Permit and left for Thimphu by shared cab at 4 PM. Reached Thimphu at 10 PM
- Day 2 (7th May’16, Saturday): Visit to Thimphu Dzong, Museums (Postal Museum & Folklore Heritage Museum), Archery Tournament, Stay at Thimphu
- Day 4 (9th May’16, Monday): Entry Pass extension & Restricted Area Entry Pass Approval, Visit to Textile Museum, Travel from Thimphu to Khuruthang by shared cab, Visit to Dochula Pass and Chimi Lhakhang enroute, Stay at Khuruthang
- Day 5 (10th May’16, Tuesday): Visit to Punakha Dzong & Suspension Bridge, Returned to Thimphu by bus, Visit to Changangkha Lhakhang, Stay at Thimphu
- Day 7 (12th May’16, Thursday): Hiking in morning at Haa, Travel from Haa to Paro by booked cab, Visit to Chele La Pass en route, Stay at Paro
- Day 8 (13th May’16, Friday): Hike to Tiger’s Nest Monastery (Tips), Visit to Paro Dzong & National Museum, Stay at Paro
- Day 9 (14th May’16, Saturday): Bus travel from Paro to Phuentsholing, Train from Hasimara to Kolkata
For booking your hotel in Bhutan, you may consider using Booking.com. They do not require any upfront payment or card details for booking you stay –
Please feel free to drop us comments in case you need any help in preparing your itinerary.