Yes! You got it right. There are institutions in India that award farmers to recognize their efforts and innovation to improve the farm productivity.
इस ब्लॉग को हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहाँ क्लिक करें – भारत में दिए जाने वाले शीर्ष ‘किसान पुरस्कार’
For your quick reference, we have prepared a list of top farmer awards in India
1. ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research)
The ICAR, based in Delhi, is the apex body for coordinating and managing research and education in agriculture in India. ICAR has many awards to recognize the outstanding contribution and innovation of the farmers –
- National award (Annual) of ₹ 1 lakh to a farmer and an equal amount of travel grant to promote his /her achievement across the country.
- 8 Zonal Awards (Awards) with ₹ 0.5 lakh to one farmer in each zone and an equal amount of travel grant to promote his/her achievement across the country.
- 1 National Award (Annual) of ₹ 1 lakh for distinguished contribution and innovation in the areas of Diversified Agriculture.
ICAR has divided the country in 8 zones. Farmers from different zones are identified and nominated for the awards. ICAR also has instituted awards to recognize journalists, teachers, writers, researchers and scientists for their contribution for agriculture and allied sectors. More details about these awards can be found here.
2. Mahindra Samriddhi India Agri Awards
Mahindra Group has set up ‘Mahindra Samriddhi India Agri Awards’ to recognize the purposeful contribution of farmers and institutions. National and regional awards are given to farmers for thinking, and adopting innovative practices drive positive change in the field of agriculture –
- Krishak Samrat Samman (Farmer of the year – Male): Award Subcategories: a) Less than 5 acres b) 5 to 20 acres c) More than 50 acres
- Krishi Prerna Samman (Farmer of the year – Female)
- Krishi Yuva Samman (Farmer of the year – Youth
[In each award category – 1 National Award – ₹ 2.11 lakh, Regional Awards – ₹ 0.51 lakh]
More details about Mahindra Awards can be found here.
3. Udyan Pandit Award
The Udyan Pandit Award is given for excellence in fruit cultivation in India. An award is given in each of the categories of apple, banana, grapes, guava, mandarin, mango, pineapple and sweet orange. It is sponsored by the National Horticultural Board awarded at both state and national levels.
4. Crystal National Agri Awards
Instituted by Crystal Group, these awards felicitate those who have made difference to the field of agriculture. This includes 12 awards for farmers adopting progressive farming technique, innovation in agriculture or in the fields of milk production, fruit production, poultry farming and sericulture. Besides awarding 6 research scientists and an NGO, there is also a Special Jury award to award an individual for a special life time contribution in the field of agricultural development. You may find more details here.
5. Awards instituted by State Governments
Each state government has also instituted multiple awards to recognize the contribution of farmers. Following are the examples –
- Punjab: Hero of the Farmers
- Bihar: Best Progressive Farmer, Green Lady Award
- Jharkhand: Best SRI farmer Award, Sarwashreshth Krishak Puruskar
- West Bengal: Krishak Sanman Puraskar, Krishi Ratna, Krishi Rabi Award
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands: Island’s Best Farmer Award, Lt Governor’s Commendation Certificate
Details of the selection criterion and award money for state awards are not readily available. Interested people can contact their regional agriculture centers to find more information about awards in their state.
This the list of key farmer awards on national and state level and seeing the list, it seems that we need more recognition mechanisms to encourage our farmers who are driving innovation on the ground. Though awards alone cannot drive adoption for innovative practices but certainly, they can recognize the efforts being put in by our farmer friends. Please feel free to add in comments in case I would have missed any key award for farmers in India.