After an adventurous Day 1 of white water rafting in Ganges, it was time for getting more adrenaline rush – Time for Bungee Jumping. And Yes!! we did it with one more item off our bucket list… After doing a thorough research, we zeroed in at Jumpin Heights in Rishikesh for our Bungee Jump. Jumpin heights has completed 50,000 jumps, all safe and that claim was good enough for us to take a plunge with them during our Rishikesh trip.
Abhay and me landed at their office at around 8:30 AM, quite early but without booking a slot online and soon realized the mistake. All slots were pre-booked and even a request could be heeded only if someone withdrew or did not turn up. Initially Manager denied of any free slots but on our insistence, asked us to wait in Cafeteria. We were continuously checking if any slots had got free and to our luck, finally around 12, we were called in – ‘Abhay and Amar’. And we rushed in for pre-briefing and weight measurement.
During pre-briefing, a basic video is displayed telling about the process and precautions. People with certain diseases (like heart conditions, weak bones, blood pressure) or pregnancy are discouraged from Bungee jumping. Actually in our group itself, when one girl told about some weak bone issue, instructor discouraged her from taking any risk and asked to withdraw. They ask you to fill up a disclosure form and measure your weight. Weight measurement is critical since there are different ropes for each of three weight categories. And to save time in changing ropes, they club people of same weight group together. Your weight is stamped on your hand with the colour of your weight category.
Post weight measurement, we started walking to Bungee Jumping Platform which is around 400 meters down the road. You can easily spot the giant yellow platform and you are allowed to enter inside only if you are going to jump. As soon as we entered inside, came a boy sweating. He could not jump !! We sat at the platform as we waited for our turn. Abhay jumped first and 15 minutes later, came my call. I walked up to the main platform. Even though jump master (from New Zealand) were quite jovial, light music was being played, day was sunny and breeze was cold, still my mind was all tense and mixed up for my first ever Bungee Jumping.
They put a harness over my body and strapped a hold over my feet. As I was getting ready for my turn, I was watching the girl in front of me. She tried but could not gather the guts to jump and came back. I slowly walked to the chair as staff started checking all ropes and harnesses. After checking everything and tying a big thick Bungee rope to the strap over my feet, as Jump Master said – “Safety Off”, my heart started pounding. I had decided not to look down and was looking straight at the yellow cross on opposite hill. Every step was heavy as I moved to the edge of the platform and finally as Jump Master said – ” One, Two and Three”, I did not think twice but jumped from the highest Bungee Platform (83 meters) in India.
I came down free-falling for few seconds and before I could realize anything, came a mild jerk, not actually jerk but elastic rebound and I went up again as I started regaining my senses. Now my fear transitioned to joy as I started yelling with my sound echoing in the valley – “Yes, I did it. Yes!! Yes!! Yes!!. Slowly rope came to rest after few rebounds. I was hanging upside down at peace with myself and looking at the water stream flowing right under me. Rope was slowly lowered as staff at the ground asked me to hold a bamboo with which they held me and made me lie on the mattress. They unstrapped harness and rope as I walked across the water stream triumphant conquering my fear of heights thinking next time – I will look down and jump seeing how high I am jumping 🙂
Here is the complete video of my Bungee Jumping –
After the jump, you are given a water bottle and a badge – ‘I have got guts‘. I and Abhay sat along the water stream for some time before heading back. It is peaceful location with lush green surroundings. Way back is around 15 minute uphill trek and you reach to the main office complex straight. We sat in Cafeteria for some time watching the live telecast of ongoing Bungee jumps. We also watched our own video before deciding to purchase it.
And soon we started driving down the road, happy after accomplishing our first Bungee Jumping successfully. Our heart beat was still up but undoubtedly we had one of the best experiences of our lives. We stopped at a tea shop on the way as we kept discussing that next time, we would try all – Giant Swing and Flying Fox too.
Tips for Bungee jumping at Jumpin Heights, Rishikesh
- Book well in advance on Jumpin Heights website. They go all full and it is very difficult to get an on the spot booking. In case someone withdraws or does not turn up, you may get a slot like us otherwise no chances.
- All your belongings are deposited at the office including rings etc. So try to carry as few valuables as possible.
- Entry ticket of Rs 100 would be over and above activity charges which you have to pay on the spot.
- Min Age: 12 years, Min Weight: 40 KG, Max Weight: 110 KG. If you are above 45 years of age, they request all medical reports before letting you try bungee.
- You have to jump by yourself. You are given two chances for a jump and in case, you do not jump, you can withdraw but no refund. And yes, they don’t push you even you ask them. Yes!! You have to jump by yourself
- Make it fast, in case you are afraid of heights. Jump as soon as you as you can. More time you will take standing on the platform and looking down, more difficult it would be for you to take the plunge.
- Do not look down if you are afraid of heights. You will get frightened with the sheer depth. Look straight and take the plunge. But real fun is to feel the height and free fall, if you can 🙂
- There is no jerk when your free-fall ends. I was myself afraid of a jerk but there was none absolutely. Elastic rope at the end ensures that you have a smooth pause and then rebound!!
- 20% Discount – Yes, they offer 20% discount to defense personnel and their dependents. so do carry I-cards for everyone in case you are eligible.
- Charges: You may check charges on their website here. They offer Giant Swing and Flying Fox too. You save in case you opt for a combo. Video charges of INR 750 were additional, in case you opt to purchase.
- And Yes, they are closed on Tuesdays. So plan accordingly.
Happy Bungee !!
Travel Date: 12th November 2017
Disclaimer: Featured image is for representation purpose only picked from Jumpin Heights Website. Image Link